28.2.21

BOOK REVIEW - The Woman In The Woods by JE Rowney

 


                                                                 BOOK DESCRIPTION

Seb is an asshole. Katie is an angel.

When Seb's night-time activity stretches their relationship to its limits, the couple decide to take a last-chance holiday to see if there's anything left to be fixed.

The cabin looked idyllic, but behind the soft furnishings and fluffy throws there's a creeping sense of unease.

They thought they were fighting for their relationship - will they end up fighting for their lives?

A couple's make or break,five day vacation in a isolated cabin in the woods descends into a terrifying nightmare and a fight for their lives in this dark,atmospheric thriller with a large dash of gothic horror. 

The events and the interactions between the couple that took place during their vacation were narrated from the perspective of Seb (self proclaimed poker king and asshole) I will be honest and admit that there were times during the story when I totally agreed with his opinion of himself but I couldn't say that he didn't have any redeemable qualities to his character. Unlike Katie,I know it's unfair to pass judgement on her character because the only insight that we got into her personality and behaviour was from Sid's rather biased perspective but I found that I really, really didn't like her,for various reasons. The only individual that I felt any anxiety for their safety was Dexter the dog and I was a bag of nerves every time Seb took him out for a walk in the woods. 

I loved the setting for this story,I always think that books and films that are set in the vicinity of woods and forests have a sinister and chilling atmosphere and this enthralling story was no exception. Throw in a sinister landlord, mysterious black lines snaking through the trees, the mystery of a dead woman and a missing child and warnings from the locals about a mysterious woman who has been seen wandering around the woods and you have all the ingredients for a mesmerising read.

Oozing with spine chilling atmosphere and suspense from the minute that Seb and Katie arrived at the cabin,this is a spine chilling, captivating, gripping read that had me hooked in from the first page and glued to my kindle. The cast were a fantastic bunch of realistic, believable characters. I would love to watch a film adaptation of this thrilling story. Thank you so much to the Author for giving me the opportunity to help share this addictive story with other readers and I look forward to reading many more of her books in the future.

                                                                        AUTHOR BIO


J.E. Rowney spent several years in the cold Yorkshire hills, but now lives on the south coast of England. She spent ten years working as a midwife before turning in her gloves to become an author.

She is an award winning poet, and also enjoys writing short stories. In 2020 she was the winner of the Pen to Print Short Story award, and the Dinesh Allirajah Prize for Short Fiction.

"Charcoal", her first novel, was published in 2012 to wide critical acclaim, and was a bestselling novel on Amazon within days of release.

She spends lots of time writing in coffee shops, so if you see her, say hello.

Ms. Rowney says: "I always dreamed of being a writer, until I realised that I was. Then I started to write."

You can find out more about JE Rowney on her website at jerowney.com, or follow @jerowneywriter on social media.

PUBLICATION DATE: 25th February 2021



















No comments:

Post a Comment