1.4.20

BOOK REVIEW - Seven Lies by Elizabeth Kay



Will you walk into my parlour said the spider to the fly

Jane and Marnie have been inseparable since they met on their first day at secondary school. Their friendship as strong as the threads of a spiders web,even after they both got married in their twenties.

But Jane hates Marnie's husband Charles,to her he is a loud,obnoxious bully and is the reason why the threads of her and Marnie's friendship are starting to fray and come apart.

Then tragedy strikes and Marnie needs her best friend again,the only person that in Jane's mind she ever needs.

But Jane has a secret so feeling that she needs to protect herself,she tells the first of her seven lies. Because if Marnie was to ever uncover the truth,their friendship would be blown apart like a spiders web caught in a storm

 The events of this mesmerising thriller are voiced entirely from Jane's perspective as she takes us through the history of her and Marnies friendship,her feelings of rejection and acrimonious relashionship with her mother when she was younger. Her happiness during her relationship and marriage to lovely Jonathan,her interactions with with her work colleagues,her sister Emma and her mother who is now in a nursing home suffering from dementia. Her interactions with Marnie and Charles and the reasons behind each of her seven lies. The story is written in a way that makes it appear as if Jane is telling her story to you,the reader something that adds a feeling of intimacy to this gripping story. Jane was a complex character who had some very serious mental issues,this woman's narratives and thoughts were seriously chilling and creepy,her one redeemable quality was her concern for her sister who also had serious issues. It was a shame that none of the chapters were voiced by Marnie,it would have been interesting to read her thoughts on Jane and their friendship and have the opportunity to get to know her character better. There was a character named Valerie who was a reporter and had a significant role in this story. I did have mixed feelings about her,one one hand I thought she was nasty and obnoxious but on the other hand,I really really wanted her to succeed in her quest to expose Jane's lies.

Seven Lies is a seriously creepy,tightly plotted,gripping debut thriller that had me hooked in from the first page. I really didn't want to put this brilliant book down and didn't want to go to bed until I had finished it but unfortunately my old eyes had other ideas. The story was still playing on my mind before I fell asleep and was the first thing that I thought of after I woke up which,when it comes down to books is something that doesn't happen to me very often. This well written story covers a number of mental health issues which the author has written about with care and sensitivity,it also covers different aspects of stalking,both in person and on social media. A sinister sense of foreboding permeates the pages of this enthralling thriller,a sense that gradually builds as the story unfolds. I really loved this amazing book and look forward to reading more of this author's books in the future. Worth far more than five stars and definitely one of my favourite reads of this year. Very very highly recommended.

                                                                  AUTHOR BIO


Hello! It’s lovely to see you here on my Amazon Author Page! My first novel will be published in April 2020 and it’s called Seven Lies. It’s the story of two best friends, and seven different lies that lead to a death. I very much hope you enjoy reading it.

If you click the yellow 'follow' button, you will receive an email whenever there are updates from me. You can also head over to my website - www.elizabethkaybooks.co.uk - to find out more, including recent news and a signup link for my newsletter. Or you can find me on Instagram and Twitter - @anyotherlizzy - where I’m often talking about and photographing books (as well as food, fields and all sorts of other things!).



PUBLICATION DATE: 1st April 2020
PRINT LENGTH: 384 Pages
PUBLISHER: Little Brown Books UK (sphere)
ASIN: NO7WHMQBTN
GENRE: Suspense Thriller

PURCHASE LINK...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Lies-Elizabeth-Kay-ebook/dp/B07WHMQBTN/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3J36RDEZTBEO3&keywords=seven+lies+elizabeth+kay&qid=1585762382&s=books&sprefix=Seven+lies%2Caps%2C184&sr=1-1




No comments:

Post a Comment